Thursday, March 19, 2009

I Samuel 8

This morning, as I was reading I Sam. 8, I was reading about when Israel decided they wanted to have a king. At first, in vs. 5, the elders of Israel tell Samuel that they want a king because Samuel's sons are not like he is -- that they wouldn't be Godly leaders. But, I thought it was interesting after Samuel talks to God and then tells Israel all of the reasons that they shouldn't want a king, the REAL reason that they want a king comes out.

I Samuel 8:20 -- "That we also may be like all the nations;...."

Wow! The reason they wanted a king was because everyone else wanted a king. Sounds like today. I struggle in wanting to be like everyone else. My kids struggle with wanting to be like everyone else. That struggle has been around since the beginning of time. And, that encourages me. To know that my struggles and my children's struggles are not anything new.

As I shared this with my children this morning, we talked about how God had a perfect plan for the nation of Israel, but they messed it up in wanting a king. Did God still take care of Israel? Sure he did, but it was never as good for them as it could have been if they had chosen to keep God as their king. We will have the "best" in our lives when we do things God's way and not our own.

Prov. 14:12 -- "There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death."

No comments: